I apologize. We came home from Omaha and I feel like I have been running in circles ever since.
We left Omaha with no feeding tube. The Dr. at Children's refused to put it in and Dr. Prestridge just said to call her on Monday and we would regroup. So, I came home with an aspirating baby. We were to put thick it (thickening agent) in his bottle to honey consistency. Once we got home however, he refused to take it. One feeding after fighting him took 90 minutes. He still sounded horrible. When he did drink he was choking and coughing and on Monday night it sounded like he was drowning.
I talked with Dr. Prestridge on Monday and she sent me in to Doc this a.m. She said it was okay to switch his bottles back to rice cereal instead of the thick it. Christopher loved this!
We pow wowed with Doc this a.m. and I shared all my frustrations and said that I'm okay if we don't put a feeding tube in him...beyond okay...but I don't like listening to my child sound like he's drowning after he drinks a bottle. He said that he and Dr. Prestridge were both baffled and he would chat with her and see what she said.
Dr. P called this afternoon and we are back to Omaha next week for Pulmonology and another swallow study, but at Bergan. We will see what that brings.
He hasn't been himself since we came home. We still have our smiles and our silly faces, but we are attached to Mom's side or anybody that will hold him. They gave him milk of magnesia Saturday in the hospital and he is still having loose stools. The poor kid smells like something died in him, but he may have caught a little stomach bug as well.
One of the highlights of the weekend, if I haven't shared before, is that we made it up to our feet. He managed it in his crib in the hospital and has a couple times since, but we don't do as well with the couch.
Sunday night I had to share the exciting MRI news with Eric, the Physical Therapist that has been working with him. He was pleased.
In speaking with Doc this a.m. it sounds like both he and Dr. P aren't sure as to what is going on. We may get a trip back to the Neurologist to find out why we are having all these low muscle tone problems. The thing that doesn't make sense, doc said, is that it is both smooth muscle (GI) and skeletal muscle involved.
I better put a plugged in for the older boys as well. They are doing so good. Andrew, believe it or not is ready for a break from school. I think he is liking helping his uncle Tim and Papa and finding more fun in that.
Matt is still silly. He's working with Mariclaire three days a week and doing awesome. It amazes me what comes out of his mouth. He has some pretty funny lines. This weekend when I had to call and tell the boys that I was staying in Omaha with Chris, Andrew had a little meltdown with it, but then Matt got on the phone long enough to say..."I'm okay with it mom." Then he was off to his next endeavor.
We just sit and wait until Monday and then back down the highway we go! Looking forward to it though, turning it in to a Christmas Shopping Extravaganza with my sister and Tim's girlfriend! SUPER excited! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment