Today was our much anticipated GI (gastrointestinal) appointment. I'm not gonna lie...was a little concerned when a med student came in first, but gave him the benefit of the doubt, so we ran through the gamut of what has been happening. He was so good with him. Then Dr. Prestridge came in and at first was in the whole...I'm gonna teach this kid something mode, but soon relaxed and confirmed everything that I was having concerns about!
First the choking...She asked how vocal he was and I said he says a couple words, but not very often and doesn't chatter much. But then I told her that I attributed it to his ears because we've been having problems and explained that Matt had the same issues. Then she asked about other foods and I said...no just his bottle. She then explained that the muscles that you use to talk are the same muscles you use to swallow. I'm sure I learned that in nursing school, but I filed that one a way for some day far far away! :)
Second hard stools...I didn't even know that she would touch on this today. Yes, I know she is GI, but i was focusing on the choking. She then asked about the MRI and why we were looking at the spine...stated that they were questioning a tethered cord or tumor. I then learned that if the anus will pucker then you can usually rule out a tethered cord, but if it doesn't, it is still a good question. She looked at that and his was slow but it puckered. So she said she would be intereseted to see what the MRI would bring.
Plan...so the plan is to keep the MRI. Dr. Prestridge is anxious to see what both the head and spine tell us. Not gonna lie...this makes me a little nervous, but it will be good. We have to thicken his milk with rice cereal and then possibly do a swallow study Nov. 17. Find out that for sure tomorrow. Then if she can arrange it, she wants to do an upper scope the day of his MRI to make sure there is nothing major.
I like this progress. I feel like we finally have a path to follow and are heading in a direction rather than just being in limbo. We drank our first thickened bottle tonight with no choking. I was in tears I was so excited!!!
Now, just 2 more weeks til the MRI. I'm so emotionally drained tonight.
No comments:
Post a Comment