I must apologize that I haven't gotten back to many about this. The last few days seem like a blur. So, I will start at the beginning.
In Chris' well baby check ups, he head has always measured large. What can I say, all my children have large heads. Andrew's was 14 inches when he was born, if I remember correctly. For awhile, it was following the growth curve, so it wasn't as much of a concern, but then at his 9 month check up, it made a jump.
To add to it, he doesn't use his legs much. Yes, the little man rolls like a maniac around the room and gets into everything. I'm always amazed at what he can do from his belly, reaching 6 inches or so off the floor! Anyway, he doesn't like to use his legs. He doesn't stand much and when you try to get him to stand he just holds his legs up. Even when he is in his exersaucer/jumper he uses his hands to go in the circle.
Then he also was sweating perfusely at the oddest times. Often in the middle of the night and especially when he eats.
So, at his 9 month check up, with all of these concerns voiced, Doc. decided that it would be in his best interest to see a neurologist. I agreed.
At this point, I handled it well...until I showed up at Carhart's to talk to my mom...10 min later, and I lost it! In the middle of the store, I bawled and bawled and bawled and in between sobs I told my mom what was happening. This was the routine until about 3 days ago. That's when I was finally able to talk about it without crying.
At first our appointment was Nov. 8, but Doc was able to get that moved up to today, Oct. 11. So off we went to Omaha and met Dr. Wright, a very cheery and thorough doc who asked all sorts of questions, and brought my attention to things, that I never knew were related.
She said that she wasn't that concerned with his head, because after measuring our heads, his head circumfrence plotted out close to mine and Jason's. He's just gonna have big brains like his momma...or a lot of empty space, according to his father.
Then we spoke at length about use of his legs. I said it's been like that since day 1 and hadn't thought much of it until recently. I mean, I knew he wasn't like the older 2, but in a way chalked it up to being kiddo #3. What got me concerned was him not sitting up. He can sit up, but he can't go from a lying to sitting position, you have to put him in the sitting position. He will also not get on his hands and knees and if he does, it is briefly, for seconds. She also made notice that his legs flop, almost like he lacks muscle tone.
She then asked about his stooling habits and if his stools were hard, which they are and always have been...and then it clicked for me...was she questioning a form or something similar to spina bifida. I couldn't bare to ask...so I didn't. She also pointed out that in comparison to his hands, his feet are small. I had always thought his feet were HUGE!
So she concluded that she isn't concerned about the head...did I say that already, but the legs do have her concerned and we now have to MRI the spine to see if there is any tethering of the lower spine or a tumor that is present. We also need to contact early development to get him on a PT/OT regimen. She did state however that with the leg issue, it could just be inability to hold his weight, which is still below Drew, so maybe he needs to buck up! :)
I'm not sure that this has sank in yet. I just keep telling myself...what's the worst case scenario? He has to use a walker?...and a friend of mine has proven that this is manageable.
The good news is that he is on track cognitively, if not a little ahead said the neurologist. The bad news is the next MRI isn't until Nov. 18, which I am trying to see if we can change because I'm not sure my mental health can wonder about those things for the next 5 weeks. He will also have quite a bit of lab drawn at that time as well.
I need to thank everyone for their prayers and thoughts of encouragement and shoulders to cry on. It's not life threatening and we are very blessed to have a healthy boy, but it doesn't mean I don't worry.
No comments:
Post a Comment