Monday, December 13, 2010

Up in the Air

After a horrible, HORRIBLE night and taking food away from Chris...the night was horrible! He coughed and choked and cried and repeated that cycle about every 2-10 min. He had about an hour of pure rest. I was so scared last evening and for 4 hours contemplated whether or not I should take him to the ED. He would cough and gag and choke. He just laid on me limp and cried. At times he would cry and then maneuver so he could tilt his head back and get his airway open. As a nurse this scared me, as a mommy it terrified me.

He had therapy this morning at 9 and immediately Jen was assessing things to see if she could figure what triggered this episode. We didn't find anything in common that would red flag us.

We did therapy and of course, he did great! No episodes for Jen and she assured me that she believed my assessment and that the reason is was doing good today could very well likely be because we had him hooked up to the vitalstim machine! He didn't cough much after for Jen, but since we have left it's been almost a non-stop cough. I have him resting now.

Jen and I decided that we should talk to Dr. Prestridge. We both have a feeling we know what is coming...a feeding tube, which neither one of us want, but we sure don't want to keep his airway threatened like I feel it was last night. I was just so hopeful that we could put this to bed altogether.

I just sit here and wait for Dr. P to call or Dr. K. Put a call out to him too! Jen's kids see Dr. Kronberg as well so she and I have a lot of comfort and faith in him as moms and professionals.

Will update more when I know what else is going on. I'm hoping we test therapy for another week! At the same time though, I don't feel safe bringing him home with how he was last night.

No comments: