Sunday, December 12, 2010

Set Back

It's been a rough few days for Mr. Christopher! Last Wednesday, Jen thinned his liquids just slightly and it seems like we've been fighting things every since and they've progressively gotten worse.

Wednesday the cough was back a bit and then Thursday and Friday it was back in full swing with relation to feedings and it sounds horrible. Friday night we had a choking incident and I told Jen that I wasn't too worrried because it didn't have much aftermath, until today. Let me rewind...Saturday night was horrible, he pretty much coughed and choked the whole night! It was horrible. We didn't sleep much.

Today didn't get any better. We had Chicken casserole for lunch and I tried the noodles, but he choked on those, so I switched to thickened baby food, went a little better. We had a rough afternoon, then at supper, he had thickened baby food again and milk from a cup and he choked on every almost every bite.

It's so frustrating. I've been in touch numerous times a day with Jen, our therapist, and we are both baffled. The poor baby sounds like he's hacking up a lung when he coughs! His poor little chest just rattles and he sounds so congested, but as far as my ear can tell, they are mostly clear...but they do sound a little gunky. He coughs so hard that he cries afterward.

I'm not going to feed him again until we see Jen in the morning, we may be visiting with Dr. Prestridge this week and most likely another swallow study to see if something has changed. He's getting very fatigued with his feedings and not sure as to why. I have a feeling we will be seeing Dr. Murphy as well.

This evening has been horrible, he continues to cough and choke with no stimulation whatsoever, so I know the stridor is coming. All of this that Dr. Murphy didn't want to happen again.

The hard thing about it is that we will do appts and tests this week and Tuesday I have to give up control and hope that things are figured out before I have to come home Tuesday night to work Wednesday. Chris will stay here and I will have family in Omaha take him to therapy and then other family meet them halfway on the highway to get him home.

Not that he won't be in great hands, but it worries me because I can't control his intake and monitor his every move...moreso every breath and swallow. We are still on that fine line with a feeding tube and tonight I'm not very hopeful that it is compeletely out of the picture.

The next couple days will be the tell all!

No comments: