Well, we started therapy last week and it was really hard to get passed not protecting the airway. That's what I was telling Jen, our awesome therapist, that as a nurse we are taught to protect the airway. Jen told me to bear with her and she would help get him better!
Chris had 2 treatments last week and I need to correct...he is not getting E stim, he is getting VitalStim. Jen puts electrodes on his neck and under his chin and then feeds him which is supposed to help retrain his tongue, neck and throat muscles to work properly. Eventually she will start to thin his liquids and see how it goes.
After 2 treatments Chris did not choke, or cough in regards to feeding for 72 hours and then we had periodically periods of coughing. He was ready for a treatment though by the time we got to Omaha. He did good, but ripped the electrodes off a couple times. He is loving drinking milk out of a cup!
Initially Jen had said 8 treatments, but she clarified that today that he will get treatments until he can drink thin liquids again. So...down we will come until Jen says we are good!
The bigger boys are surviving and excited that they get to come down this weekend for Christmas with Grandma and Papa K. They don't know they will get to come down for 3 days with me!! :) I will surprise them I think. We will do that for 2 weeks. They will be so excited!! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment