Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Sickness...once again!

As, I was trying to go to sleep last night, the only thought I could get through my head was...why does Andrew always seem to get the weird things! Not that they are weird, but Drew just gets them!

When Andrew woke up yesterday to get ready for school, he was complaining of a headache! In true parent manner I gave him a Tylenol and told him to get ready for school! He went and I went off to work for a 9 hour day of meetings/training.

A little after 1230 I got a call to call my mom on her cell phone! I knew that she was on her way to pick up Andrew from school because he was told to call Grandma if he needed to go home. I was proud of him for that! He was running a fever and continued with complaints of a headache!

I emailed our doc real quick to tell him what my plan of treatment was and what he suggested...all his reply said was...influenza swab!

I ran him into the clinic at 4 p.m. and they did a quick swab...which after my last nurses meeting, was the correct way...but that's besides the point! We waited the 10 minutes and then the door swung open to the room and doc just stood there with a grin on his face! All I had to say was, it's positive isn't it...A or B?

Of course, it was A pos, which for those of you oblivious to the rest of the world right now or like me avoid watching the news...a positive influenza A swab translates to positive for H1N1! NICE!

It wasn't like 30 min before we went to the doc that I was joking in my nurses meeting that since H1N1 had hit the hospital I was feeling contractions and would need to be off until after the flu season! :) The supervisors didn't find it funny, but the rest of us did!!

Needless to say, Andrew, Matthew, my mother and I all got prescriptions for tamiflu! I just feel bad because I feel like I'm treating him like he has the plague! Trying to prevent Matt from getting it and myself, but all I want to do is snuggle the poor kid!!

Now, I'm pretty sure he can't tolerate the tamiflu because he starts puking about 30-45 min after the medicine! We will try it again tonight and see what happens.

We will see what the next couple days bring!

No comments: