Wow, this day has been exhausting.
We were up bright and early as they were taking Chris to surgery around 6:30 this a.m. He and I both did well until they wheeled him out of the room, but then my heart melted as they "oohed and awwed" over him as he wheeled through the surgery department.
Dr. Goebel came in and visited us. Said it would take about an hour and that should would take care of him like he was her own. Have I mentioned that I love this woman?
As any mom would do...I watched the clock and when the hour mark passed...my chest pain sat in. My anxiety level started to raise and I was 30 seconds away from pacing when Dr. Goebel came out for report and stated that he was doing good. Said that he was a little stridorous and that she gave him steroids for and he had received a shot of morphine, but otherwise was doing good.
She had pic of his scope and let me say...WOW!!!! In the picture of his adenoids she said there was supposed to be an open black circle and his was closed shut with adenoids. When you looked at this airway/throat, his tonsils were about closing that off as well. We were very lucky to not have other major issues. She stated that she has never seen tonsils that huge in someone his age ever!!! And this is one experienced cookie!!
It was a huge sigh of relief, but a huge sigh of somewhat frustration as to...how did we miss this? Could this be our problem all along. Dr. Goebel said that although all tonsil tissue grows, he could have gotten some type of infection that made his worse. It would sure explain the last 2.5 months we've been having. She also said that there was no way he could have effectively swallowed with these tonsils.
We got to see him in the hallway and he jumped in my arms. We got back up to the room and I laid him in bed. One nurse was like...they prefer to be held. Although I'm sure she's probably right...he flails so bad. So I crawled in the crib and snuggled up next to him.
Dr. Thomas showed up shortly after and goes...when does he go to surgery...been there done that...she's like...WOW! She came back in. Said they changed his feeds and that she wants to repeat a swallow study in 4-6 weeks, after we go to Denver.
Stated that we have a 50/50 chance of things getting back to normal in the swallowing category...remember our normal is honey thick liquids, which i will be happy with.
The afternoon was rough. He was having pain, he was fussing and he wasn't tolerating his bolus feeds, not to mention not wanting anything oral and refused to swallow his own spit. It was a long afternoon. He rested off and on, but not good rest. When he was awake however, he breaths a lot quieter than he ever has.
We finally got on top of his pain tonight and although he still whimpers when he coughs, it's better. Jason and I took over all NG cares. I want to be sure we know what we are doing before we hit the highway tomorrow.
Not gonna lie. I was having anxiety about going home. He's bolus feeds weren't going good, his pain wasn't under control and we live 200 miles away. Then Jess came and explained things to me and I began to feel better. Working 2 nights in a row when I get home isn't helping the anxiety though, but we'll get through it.
He got more playful as the night when on, and as jason and I were eating our sandwiches that we had made in the room...since we were about ready to go broke eating in the cafeteria...Chris tried to crawl through the crib to get to our bread. He couldn't eat it fast enough. Then cottage cheese. Then pudding. Then ice cream. THEN part of my ham sandwich!!! MY BABY WAS COMING BACK!! :)
We are good on the NG work, our babe is eating, part of our belongings are in the care and this momma is ready to go home to her big boys and her house that she has missed for a week.
1 comment:
Thank you so much for the thank you card! I am glad you guys got to go home and I hope things are going well, I miss hanging with my buddy but glad he gets to be at home with his family! Thank you so much for letting me get to know you guys and snuggle with your little guy, I really enjoyed it!
Yay for going home!
Sarah
Post a Comment