The rest of the day went well. He's slept a lot today and I'm attributing it to the new seizure medicine. We haven't seen any seizures, so we will see if it helps, but we are just kind of hindering everything on Denver on June 6 in that category.
Dr. Goebel was by and said that the sleep study didn't necessarily show any obstruction periods, but he had some type of event 7 times a minute that would wake him up. She said it wasn't alarming, but enough to convince her that the tonsils and adenoids is still the way to go.
She said that instead of removing the tonsil from the wall of the throat, she is going to shave 80-90% off. This will reduce his risk of bleeding, less pain and hopefully not effect his swallow as much as the other would. She will do the same with the adenoids.
While she is in there she is going to scope him to look for a laryngeal cleft which could be causing the aspiration and would mean more surgery. She will also look for fistulas that could also be leading to the aspiration.
I'm not sure how long the procedure will last. She said that there is a chance he might need oxygen afterwards, but stated that she did not book an ICU bed because she is pretty sure he won't need it. Let's hope not.
The feeding issue persists, but the good thing is that Dr. Goebel, Dr. Thomas, Dr. Prestridge and I are all on the same page about the feeding tube. We are going to go with the NG until we know for sure that the tonsils and adenoids didn't help. That will be a repeat swallow and sleep study I'm sure. I know the repeat sleep study is for sure. Dr. Prestridge made sure to stop by tonight to right a note in his chart to tell them to not get in to a big toot about putting in a g-button. I checked, the note is there...it's a sticky on the front of the chart! JK!! :)
The sad part is the NG came out tonight as we were getting ready for his bath. I'm not sure what happened, but the tears I shed, didn't put it back in that's for sure. I bit the bullet though and put it back in. It went okay. Of COURSE he was tied down and crying, but he did well. My biggest concern was him not wanting me after it went in, but he snuggled up, until he saw Sarah (his favorite nurse) and he jumped in to her arms and let her carry him off!
He's resting now and we just wait until morning. Dr. Goebel said that we should be able to go home on Wednesday, but we will have to see. I know the tonsils come out tomorrow, but now we have to deal with the feeding issues.
He hasn't been taking oral foods very much since the NG went down...no surprise. They upped his rate to 50 ml/hr and it runs continuously...I'm sorry, but duh...the kids not going to eat if he keeps getting fed through the tube. So I hope when he goes home, we can run continuous during the night and then bolus during the day. We shall see.
Hopefully more of that will be figured out tomorrow or Wednesday.
The big boys had their last soccer game tonight. I guess Matt scored his first goal of the season and I was upset that I couldn't be there to see it! I didn't even get to talk to him because we were putting the tube back in at that time. I can't wait to have us all under one roof.
No comments:
Post a Comment