Our day started off at 8 a.m. with an appointment with Dr. Thomas, pulmonologist who does great work with aspiration. After that I remember thinking that it had to be about 4 p.m. and when I looked at the clock and it was 1:50. Ugh!
Dr. Thomas looked at his previous xrays and ordered new ones after getting a history on Chris. She came back with word that his tonsils and adenoids were HUGE! I have since looked at the xray and can not confirm or deny this...basically because I don't know what I'm looking at. His nurse Sara and I just made some guesses! :) Anyway, she also ordered a swallow study, which increased my anxiety and watched my videos that I have been recording of Chris breathing. (Once I get to the car to get my cord for my camcorder, I hope to download one.)
By just watching the video she looked at me and said...you came prepared to stay right? I said yes...so she said that the plan was to then admit him for further tests and observation, but in the meantime Dr. Goebel (ENT - the main reason we came down) was gonna sneak in and see him.
Now, I know the Lord works in mysterious ways and he did this morning by gracing Chris with his nap shortly before Dr. Goebel came in and quickly made him sound like his worst...Thank you Jesus! After introducing herself, she goes..."I don't have to ask why you're here." Then she said she had heard lots about Chris and I...I'm hoping it's all good. :)
We chatted, she looked him over, and then she stated again that the adenoids and tonsils are HUGE. The funny part about all the doctors saying his tonsils are HUGE...is that his eyes get really big when they say it too! :)
The plan was made to take them out, but because of his extensive history, she wanted a sleep study first, but wasn't sure if she could get the sleep study, since they are booked out until July, but stated she was going to whine and cry enough to get it. :) As I walked out of the clinic to have Chris admitted, I asked if it was just over night or what the plan was and the nurse goes...no hun, I think you're here until the tonsils and adenoids come out...which at this time...is Monday.
We had our swallow study this afternoon and much to my dismay, we failed. He again is aspirating the honey thick liquids and cheetos. I think that took more out of me than the whole being hospitalized until Monday. We have gone backwards. I still want to argue with the lady though that did the test, because what she was calling aspiration, I was calling penetration, but again, I am not a radiologist.
I spoke with Jen about it and will get her a copy so I can get her opinion. But for now they took away his liquids and put him on an IV for fluids.
The Resident (Dr. Singh) that admitted us was very nice. I liked him very much. He was very willing to listen to my concerns and what I wanted and how to do things. We just had trouble with 2 things...not being able to read a crystal ball and the feeding tube issue.
I kept asking questions about what was going to happen and when it was going to happen and how it was going to happen and most of the time he said...I'm not sure. I reassured him that I am just very impatient and appreciated all he had to offer!
The feeding tube issue...wasn't backing down on that one. I told him that I did not feel that an NG was the way to go and did not feel comfortable without talking to Dr. Prestridge. I said he can either have pudding thick liquids or and IV...no tube at this point because he wasn't going to keep it in. His response...Let me go talk to Dr. Wilson.
When he came back in...Bless his Soul...he said that he was cool with an IV and that he would address the swallowing issue with Dr. Prestridge tomorrow....GREAT ANSWER. Pretty sure he walked out of the room though thinking I was a major rip! :) My dad was proud of me! :) He has been very against a feeding tube since the get go.
Now, don't get me wrong, last week we thought that was the only thing we had left until we discovered these ginormous tonsils that have surfaced and it sounds like everyone is hoping that taking them out will help alleviate the issues. Lord, I hope so!!!
This evening was good. Had a bit of company, then rested and snuggled awhile. Grandma K brought him a Curious George stuffed animal and we are lovin that.
Around 9 they came in to put his monitor on that is monitoring his respirations, heart rate and oxygen saturations. This will also tell if he is having periods of apnea. He's had a couple priods of apnea and has had once incident where he bradied down in to the 80s. He's wrapped up in wires and my hope is they just don't get undone. THe one good thing is that his sats have remained good through all of this.
I stepped out of the room for a few minute tonight to visit with some friends form back home that are just down the hall from us. It was good visiting with them and then their nurse is an O'Neill-ite as well. I also ran in to the nurse that I precepted under when I was in nursing school and it was great to get caught up with her.
The big boys are doing well. They have soccer tomorrow night and then Drew has his track meet on Friday. Jason is home and staying with them although he would kill to be down here with us. We gave the big boys the option of coming down Friday after the track meet or coming down Saturday after soccer. Jason and I was sure they would say Friday, but much to our surprise...after soccer!! :) Which is fine...they need some normalcy. Jason saved our house from a fire tonight by cleaning out the lent trap and hose that was 50% full of lent! Good heavens! That's the last thing we need.
Best get some sleep. Tomorrow is looking to be another long day with our neuro consult and more tests.
No comments:
Post a Comment