Sunday, August 21, 2011

Good Things Come to Those Who Wait

We've had some more exciting things happening around the house lately.

On Aug. 6, we went to Omaha and participated in the Nebraska Epilepsy Walk with 19 members of our families. It was a tough day for this ole mom. It was emotional for me because it made it real. The last 6 months have felt like a dream, like we would wake up from it, but we are learning that our reality is different. The whole family had a great time and we hope to have more participating with us next year. It's a great family event to plan on year after year.

ANYWAY, that same weekend Chris had another little sinus infection and cold as I was getting over bronchitis. He started to drain copious amounts of green goo from his eye that was directly above the tube. So we pulled his NG and were told to put it in the other nare. It was like immediately both eyes started draining copious amounts of green goo and so after some texting with our family physician, he said to leave it out and it's as good as time as any for a trial run.

I am happy to announce that we have been tube free for 2 WEEKS!!! He is taking up to 8 ounces of honey thick liquids at a time and on Tuesday of this last week he started to drink out of a sippy cup. Now, mind you, our sippy cup has the spill proof valved removed, but at least it's not an all out mess.

His seizures seem to remain under control and Denver has called to check up on him once since we've been home and continue to be very happy with his progress. They drew one set of labs and they came back negative. Although that is good, still no answers. I'm learning to forego answers with progress!! :)

Chris starts speech on Monday and I am anxious that we will start making leaps and bounds in that category. I should be prepared for baby steps though, as that's about how quickly Matt did it.

This coming Tuesday the two big boys start school and although Andrew says he is not excited, I know he is. Matt is clueless, as always. He doesn't miss much, he just doesn't worry about it. He will go where and when I tell him to go. Andrew on the other hand needs to know what we are doing 6 months from now! They are complete opposites.

No comments: