I have busted my nuts these last 6 weeks...yes 6 weeks! Can you believe it?! :) Anyway, been working my tail off trying to get this breastfeeding thing to work and to have enough milk for Christopher. He's remained jaundiced and when at 5 weeks we took him to meet Dr. K...he was very alarmed by his color. He checked his bili and it was 12.2 and that's where it's been hanging out!
Dr. K was worried that his liver wasn't functioning right, but his direct bili was 0, so that was a good result and showed his liver was fine. He also did a CBC and although everything was fine, he was slightly anemic. So in true Dr. K fashion, he was worried that something else could be going on.
When he talked to me on Friday, he suggested putting him on formula for a couple days to see if the jaundice would go away and then he would know it was breastmilk jaundice! Although, I knew this worked, I wasn't too set on it! I pondered it Friday and thought...ya know...I'm just gonna keep nursing him because I've worked so hard to get it to work and I am doing this to help protect him against allergies or lessen them maybe!
When Dr. K called Saturday morning to check on him and discuss things again and expressed how worried he was and that he would probably do more testing if we didn't do the formula test just to make sure that he didn't have another hemolytic disease or something!
After crying to Jason about how frustrated I was that I had worked so hard and that I was scared to give it up because I was afraid he wouldn't go back to breast milk again, we decided that if he saved him pokes it was in Chris' best interest!
We started formula at 4 p.m. yesterday and let me just say, last night was hell! He doesn't like the formula, which yay for me in a way...boo for my sleeping pattern! He just screams at times. For 6 weeks, he has done not much more than whine or fuss for a couple minutes, but this is screaming! He's not content what so ever!
I feel horrible, but will be glad when this trial is done in the next few hours.
No comments:
Post a Comment